Find out more about B Com Degree Course
What is B.Com?
Full form of B Com is Bachelor of Commerce it is a 3 year program in India, both under regular and distance mode, students can join under any options.
B Com is very popular course among students who have passed their 12th standard. B Com is one of the most popular courses in India , this course is liked by many students because of its diversified career prospects.
Students after passing 12th Commerce love doing their B Com course, there are few who opts for science stream or arts, but mostly jump for commerce stream.
In B Com candidates are taught various subjects related to accounts, finance, taxation, and economics. Further in 3 years duration, they are given options to choose subjects of their choice and interest. This course is usually divided into 6 semesters, during which students are exposed to various subjects like accounting, finance, taxation, business law, auditing, economics, management and many more.
B Com is one the best courses that can be pursued by student who are looking for a career in the field of accounting, finance, taxation, banking, economics, CA chartered Accountant, ICWA cost accountant, CS company secretary, Banker, tax advisor and many more.
They can pursue career in teaching, law, management, journalism, professions like CA, ICWA, CS, lawyers, Loan officers, Bankers, Auditors. On an average starting salary of simple plain B Com student is around 3 lakhs per annum.
Types of B Com courses.
- B Com (general-pass course)
- B Com (honours)
- B Com (Llb Law)
- B Com (Vocational)
- B Com Economics
- B Com Foreign Trade Management:
- B Com Management Studies
- B Com Computer Applications
- B Com Taxation
- B Com Banking Management
- B Com Accountancy:
B Com (Pass Course)
This is one of the simple and general form of B Com, there is no scope of any specialization during the program, this is very popular among students.
B Com (Honors)
B Com honours (Hons) is specialized program, mainly it is meant for those students who want to do specialization in the subjects like Accounting, Economics. Students are given in depth knowledge about the subjects involved. Subjects like cost accountancy and orgamisational behavior are subjects where focus is laid. Those students who want to pursue their career in professional courses like CA, ICWA, CS can opt for Honours Program.
B Com (Vocational)
This is very uncommon option, as the name suggests, it is vocational training, focus remains on skill development of the student, objective of this course in not specilisation in subject matter but on skill development, like Tally Training. This course is focused on job students get placement immediately after this course.
B Com in Economics:
B.Com in Business Economics as the name suggests, focus of this program mainly remains on economics, economic challenges and financial issues faced by economics of any country. Those who want to become economists or professors, want to do research work, those who want to look for a career in journalism can opt for this course. Many prominent economists and economic advisor in India come through this stream.
B Com in Management Studies:
There are many universities and colleges which offer this B.Com in Management Studies course In this course, main focus remains on management subjects, various aspects of organization and managerial solutions and operational . Some of the main topics include Commercialization, Statistical research, organization and management, Customer demands pattern, demand forecasting techniques.
B.Com in Computer Applications:
B Com in Computer applications is designed to help student to perform specific work. This course focus on development of specific skill set for the fields like:- banking, accounting, insurance, stock markets, marketing, e-commerce. Software like Tally and Busy becomes part of curriculum.
B Com Foreign Trade
The course includes accounting of management of resources, study involves business and trade relations among countries, management of trade flow, studying foreign trade policy and its impacts on GDP.
A taxation degree course focus on professional qualification in taxation, direct tax like income tax, indirect tax like:- GST, thus it helps students to learn more about Indian taxation system and its implication in economy as a whole. This course is meant for those students who are more inclined towards taxation system, or who want to opt for professional courses like CA, ICWA etc.
B.Com Banking Management
This course focus on the banking system in the country, making students aware of banking operations, and various procedural matters involved in baking. Banking sectors in India is going through technological changes very rapidly, hence those who are interested to make career in banking sector can opt for such courses for a bright and successful future.
B.Com in Accountancy puts strong emphasis on accounting and professional development in all aspects of accounting.
Under this course candidates learn online business practices and procedures. After advent of internet and its great expansion into Indian online business, many business portal have mushroomed all over country. To fulfill the needs of manpower B com in E commerce. This degree course is very useful for those looking for a career in online business.
Who can do B Com its Eligibility?
B Com is offered by every university or college under regular as well as distance mode.
- Student must have studied Commerce till 12th class with Accountancy, Economics Business Studies , English as main subjects.
- Minimum cut-off criteria in marks obtained varies from college to college.
- Every college/university’s has its own admission criteria.
B Com Syllabus
B Com syllabus can be broadly divided into various semester, every college and universities has its own subjects and areas, however most of the subjects are very common these days. Detail semester wise subjects list is given below:-
Syllabus Semester one 1
- Financial Accounting.
- Principles of Micro Economics.
- New Venture Planning.
- Business Organization and Management.
- Environmental Studies.
Syllabus Semester two 2
- English Language.
- Business Laws.
- Principles of Macro Economics.
- Business Mathematics and Statistics.
- Foreign Exchange Markets.
- Economics of Regulation.
Syllabus Semester three 3
- Company Law.
- Financial Analysis and Reporting.
- Income Tax Laws.
- Banking and Insurance.
- Economy or Financial Markets.
Syllabus Semester four 4
- Indirect Tax Laws.
- Corporate Accounting.
- Human Resource Management.
- Industrial Laws.
- Stock Markets.
Syllabus Semester five 5
- Corporate Governance
- Principles of Marketing
- Cost Accounting
- Computer Applications in Business.
Syllabus Semester six 6
- Corporate Tax Planning.
- Financial Management.
- Business Communication.
- Fundamentals of Investment.
- Office Management, Secretarial Practice.
- International Business.
B Com Jobs & Salaries
Frankly speaking B com degree is not enough. After completing B com, students should pursue some higher education, like post graduation in commerce, M Com, CA, ICWA, CS . Commerce graduates can also appear for competitive examination, apply for government jobs or try for jobs in private sector as well. There are different type of jobs available at different level in any organization.
Some of the job profiles a commerce graduate can opt for is given in list below.
- Accountant (Average Salary Rs 2 lakh)
- Financial Analyst (Average Salary Rs 3.7 lakh)
- Financial Consultant (Average Salary Rs 5 lakh)
- Account Executive (Average Rs 2.5 lakh)
- Jr Accountant Rs (Average 1.75 lakh)
- Business Consultant ( Average Rs 9 lakh)
- Accounts Manager (Average Rs 5.8 lakh)
- Business Executive (Average Rs 3 lakh)
- Tax Consultant (Average Rs 4.5 lakh)
List of Top Recruiters after B Com
- Punjab National Bank
- ICICI Bank
- Pricewaterhouse Cooper
- IndusInd Bank
- Ernest & Young
- New India Assurance
- Bajaj Allianz
- United India Insurance
- HDFC Life
- ICICI Prudential
- Kotak Life
- Max Bupa
- Indian Tobacco Company (ITC) Limited
- Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL)
- Reliance Industries
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC)
- Eicher Motors
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Limited
- State Bank of India (SBI)
FAQs related to B Com course
- What is eligibility B com?
- Candidates should have passed 12th in commerce .
- Which are the best colleges for B Com in India?
- Christ University in Bangalore.
- Shri Ram College
- Hindu College in Delhi.
- Xavier’s College in Kolkata.
- Loyola College in Chennai.
- Hansraj College Delhi.
- Entrance exam to get admission into top college?
- Candidates can appear for
- DU Entrance Test.
- AMU Entrance Exam.
- Christ University Entrance.
- Jamia Milia Islamia Entrance Exam
- Career opportunities for B Com ?
- There are many job opportunities after B Com , student can become:-